Today's Challenge Card:
"No time for breakfast this morning. No time to pack a lunch from home either."
So here we are basically having a repeat of Day 1 when I hadn't purchased any food yet.
Interestingly, though, I seem to be prepared for this one.
In my usual life outside the Challenge, I am often too busy to sit down for a full breakfast at home in the morning. This is largely due to the fact that I spend about an hour getting ready for work, which is also something I chose not to forego for the Challenge. There was talk of giving up beauty products for the week to be more realistic about our budgets. That was a hard "no" from me, and I will readily admit I'm just not dedicated enough to spend working days without makeup.
Anyway, back to the point. As I did on Day 1, which was in total violation of the Challenge parameters, I typically grab an energy bar and maybe a piece of fruit and/or a small tetra pack of almond milk (aka, a Silk juice box).
In preparation for busy days, I did budget for some grab-and-go foods. I have ready access this morning to a box of All Bran bars, bananas and apples. I couldn't afford my usual favourite Cliff bars, one of which costs the equivalent of this 10-pack of All Bran bars. Similarly, no almond milk for me during the Challenge.
If I'm simply bound by the rule of "no breakfast today", however, then the trek to find lunch is going to be a hungry one. Luckily, this Challenge Card came in good time as a few of us already planned to check out the lunch program at the Jubilee Church of God later today.
Either way, the bottom line of this Challenge Card is clearly not to whine about almond milk and mascara, but rather to be thankful about the fact that I do have shelves full of food and I would rarely have to forego a meal, which we are quickly learning is the reality for many people trying to make ends meet on Ontario Works.
The Northwestern Health Unit has a complete list of Community Food Programs in Kenora.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.