Happy Valentine's Day! ♥
Lucky steak is a term I accidentally coined last year after my husband's workplace Christmas party. I meant to post that I was on a lucky streak when I captioned this photo of all our prize winnings from raffles that night.
Everyone pretty much ignored the photo itself and the whole conversation in the comments turned to a discussion about the possible existence of lucky steaks.
Today, in the midst of the Poverty Challenge, I felt like I was back on my lucky streak again.
On Day 2, my Challenge Card asked me to prepare a Valentine's Day gift for my sweetie. I came to the inevitable conclusion that this was basically impossible on my limited budget.
This morning, I pulled my last, sealed Challenge Card from my envelope. We have been drawing the Cards at random with no way of knowing what is inside. My Day 5 Challenge Card is: "Allow a friend to buy you lunch or dinner". I'm pretty sure I can convince my wonderful husband to be that friend tonight.
All of this luckiness has reminded me of when I first heard of the "birth lottery", a concept which I think is worth sharing during the Poverty Challenge:
During my first year at business school, a professor explained to us that by being able to sit in those seats, at a Canadian university, we had all won the birth lottery. That really stuck with me.
Today I'm feeling especially grateful for my small win with Challenge Card and the fact that my big win in the birth lottery means that these five days are only a Challenge and not something I have to struggle with on a daily basis.
I am thinking of circumventing the rules again to go and do something proactive to pay it forward. If you're thinking of doing the same today, HoJoe Coffee and Eatery has a Community Board where you can buy a coffee for someone who can't afford it. Check out Sam's Day 2 blog for a first-hand look.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.